The Open Door strives to implement best practices in every aspect our services. Several of those best practices include Model Food Pantry, Trauma-Informed Care, and Client Directed Service.
Model Food Pantry
- Client self-shop with grocery cart and check out.
- Measuring hunger with the Hunger Indicator questionnaire.
- Tracking pounds of produce distributed as a % of total order.
- Point-of-Service Nutrition Education with recipes and taste tests.
- Healthy Choice. Easy Choice.
- Partially prepped or fully prepped meals and Meal Kits as an alternative to “Blue Apron.”
- SNAP Application Assistance and SNAP Checkup on site.
- CLICK HERE to view additional best practice information including square footage within our facility, appliances, and frequently asked questions about SmartChoice™ at The Open Door, our online grocery ordering system.
This theoretical framework recognizes poverty as trauma in a non-clinical environment. To learn more about Trauma-Informed Care please download our program paper.
This practice is also known as a “choice architecture” designed to nudge people toward making better food choices on their own in the pantry.
Medically Tailored Groceries
Need help keeping your health on track? You may qualify for Medically Tailored Groceries, a program that couples one-on-one nutritional counseling with nutrition specific food boxes to help you stay healthy and active.
Medically Tailored Grocery boxes contain fully prepped or partially prepped entrees, diary, produce and shelf-stable items along with recipes and suggestions for how to prepare food that will bring you life.
Clients may need a physicians referral.
For an application
Contact Robin Stone, MS, RD, LDN