"A gathering place at the intersection of community and commerce."
How to Make a Donation at Second Glance
Whether you are cleaning out your closet, moving or simply downsizing, a donation of clean, gently used goods to Second Glance helps feed local people.
Revenue from the store directly supports hunger relief programs of The Open Door, including its Gloucester and Ipswich Community Food Pantries, Community Meals, Summer Meals for Kids, Mobile Markets, SNAP Application Assistance, Medically Tailored Groceries, and more. Second Glance also issues referrals to those in need of a little extra help, providing clothing, furniture, and household items at no cost.
With 200 years of collective resale and thrift experience, the professional team at Second Glance is well equipped to handle your treasures and help find them a new home.
Ready to donate? See below for guidance and answers to frequently asked questions:
- Home Décor
- Household Items
- Small Appliances
- Classic Toys
- In-Season Sporting Goods
- Large Appliances Purchased Within the Last 5 Years
WE CANNOT ACCEPT:
- Air Conditioners
- Exercise Equipment
- Car Seats
- Childcare Items
- Children’s Furniture
- Computers and Monitors
- Hazardous Materials
- Large Appliances More Than 5 Years Old
- LP Albums
- Recalled Items
- VHS Tapes
DONATED ITEMS MUST BE:
- Gently Used or Worn
- Without Tears, Rips, or Stains
- Note: If you wouldn’t wear or use the item you wish to donate, or pass it on to a friend, it probably isn’t in the condition to be donated.
- Keep in mind, while we recycle clothing and shoes we cannot sell, not everything can be recycled!
- Donation appointments are REQUIRED and help us manage our inventory.
- Make an appointment at FOODPANTRY.org/donatestuff or call 978-283-4298.
- Donation appointments are available Monday through Saturday, from 9:30 A.M. to 4:45 P.M.
- Our store is located at 2 Pond Rod, Gloucester MA 01930. When you arrive, you will drive up the hill behind the store to where our donation center is located. There are signs along the way to point you in the right direction.
- Please bag and box items by category. For example, pack up men's clothing, women's clothing, and children's clothing separately, as well as shoes, handbags, books, home décor, small appliances, and so on.
- Fragile items should be carefully boxed.
- When you arrive, please place your donation items into bins. Think of making a donation like visiting a recycling center—you wouldn’t mix paper with plastic or glass if you were recycling, and you shouldn’t mix clothing with books, art, housewares, linens, shoes, or handbags when you donate at Second Glance!
- By sorting your items, you help us be more efficient and reduce staffing costs so MORE revenue can fuel nutrition programs at The Open Door.
- If you have furniture you would like to donate that needs to be picked up, click here.
- More information specific to furniture pickups and guidelines is available here.
- If you have leftover goods from a yard sale, before you load your car, give us a call at 978-283-6776.
- In 2020, The Open Door helped feed 9,681 people with 2.46 MILLION pounds of food. We could not do what we do without you. When you donate your treasures to support The Open Door, it creates the perfect combination of community and commerce. It is good for the economy and good for the environment.
- Questions? Give us a call at 978-283-4298.