Our Volunteers In Action!
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Some of the most important work done in the fight to end hunger is performed by volunteers like you.
During the pandemic, volunteers must follow COVID safety requirements at all times to keep our community safe.
COVID-19 SAFETY PROTOCOLS FOR VOLUNTEERS
Sign up to volunteer by creating a profile HERE and our Volunteer Engagement Coordinator will reach out to schedule an orientation. Once completed, you will have access to all volunteer opportunities and available time slots.
SIGN UP HERE
Volunteers at our Gloucester and Ipswich food pantries are an essential part of The Open Door’s mission. Help clients feel welcome and supported while they “shop” for free for the food they need to feed their families.
The Open Door warehouse is the center of our operations, ensuring successful food distribution to all ten towns and cities served by The Open Door. Work directly with warehouse staff to process, sort, stock, and organize food so it’s ready for our clients when they need it.
Since the pandemic began, volunteers make daily No Contact deliveries of meals and/or groceries to those clients who can’t come to us. Sometimes called a “health wellness check”, share your time and energy, from the comfort of your car, to make sure our most vulnerable clients get the good food they need delivered right to their door.
DUE TO COVID-19, there is currently no onsite dining. All MEAL PROGRAMs are take-out only.
In the past, volunteers have been a crucial component of The Open Door Community Meals, Family Supper, Senior Soup and Salad program and Summer Meals for Kids. While we are not currently able to welcome groups of volunteers back into our kitchen due to the ongoing pandemic, individual volunteers are welcome. To learn more, email us at email@example.com.
Second Glance, the thrift store of The Open Door, provides our friends and neighbors with a fun, safe place to shop for reduced-cost items. Volunteer alongside staff members to sort through treasures, make enticing visual displays, and give customers an amazing shopping experience while raising money for hunger relief.
Due to COVID-19, there are no events currently scheduled. In prior years, volunteers could sign up to help with our annual Empty Bowl Dinner, Food Drives, Autumn Breakfast, and more. We hope to see you again soon when it is safe to do so!
We LOVE hosting businesses and community groups who want to make special memories by volunteering together. Strengthen your team culture and build connections among colleagues, all while giving back to your local community!
If you are interested in having your organization volunteer with us, please contact our Volunteer Engagement Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are required to do community service as a school or graduation requirement, please contact our Volunteer Engagement Coordinator at email@example.com
If you need to fulfill requirements of court ordered community service, please have your probation officer contact our Volunteer Engagement Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Commitment to Volunteers
- We will not sell, share or trade our volunteers' names or personal information with any other entity, nor send mailings to our volunteers on behalf of other organizations.
- This policy applies to all information received by The Open Door, both online and offline, on any Platform ("Platform", includes the The Open Door website and mobile applications), as well as any electronic, written, or oral communications.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please create an account
Our programs provide many services to the public. We ask that volunteers adhere to the following dress code while here.
- Each volunteer will be issued an Open Door t-shirt upon volunteer placement. T-shirt should be worn for each shift.
- Tank tops and sleeveless shirts are prohibited.
- All hair that reaches shoulder length must be tied back for food service.
- Closed-toe shoes are required for food service. Sneakers are recommended for all programs.
- Shorts may be worn. Shorts must reach the top of the knee.
- Aprons will be provided to volunteers serving prepared food.
- Gloves must be worn for food preparation. (Gloves in three sizes will be provided.)